Plugins Developer (Android/iOS/Web)- Remote (USA)
We are Ionic.
Ionic is the app development platform for web developers. Build amazing cross-platform mobile, web, and desktop apps all with one shared code base and open web standards.
Aside from working on tools that power more than 15% of the world's mobile apps, Ionic also has very competitive incentives for employees. We are 100% remote team (even prior to the pandemic) with full benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage with available coverage for spouses or domestic partners and children, stock options, 401(k), generous holiday, and sick paid time off.
About this role
is fast becoming the most popular cross-platform native runtime
in the world. Its momentum is driven in part by a superior developer experience, but also critically depends on the availability of plugins to access native functionality like biometrics, geolocation, bluetooth, etc. Our plugins team plays a key role in building out our ecosystem of plugins to ensure Capacitor developers have everything they need to be successful. If you’re a web developer with native experience, we’d love to talk with you about helping us drive the growth of Capacitor!
You’ll work on our Capacitor
plugins team that will be responsible for building and maintaining plugins that we will sell to enterprise customers building iOS, Android, and Electron applications using Capacitor
. This role will work closely with the team lead to understand the requirements for various plugins based on customer needs and help turn those requirements into functional SDKs for our customers. They’ll be responsible for ensuring the plugins are well documented and well tested. This role will also need to provide enterprise support for our largest customers helping triage their issues in a timely manner, provide fixes or workarounds, and join calls with them to deep dive issues they may be experiencing or understand their requirements better.
In this role you will be measured on your ability to:
• Communicate effectively with the product owner and help to take product requirements and turn them into well designed and documented SDKs for customer use under the guidance of a team lead
• Work in multiple evolving platforms (Android, iOS, Electron, & web) and ensure that plugins are kept up to date and compatible with underlying platform changes coming down the pipeline
• Manage multiple plugin SDK codebases often focused at achieving very different functionality (Bluetooth, Google Maps, Apple Pay, etc)
• Help to triage, fix, and estimate timelines for critical customer issues as defined by the business and team lead
Your areas of responsibility will include:
• Participate in design and technical implementation planning for plugins based on product requirements.
• Help design and implement new features while reducing overall technical debt with guidance from product owner & team members
• Triage issues from enterprise customers and work with the product owner to understand priorities and help with timeline estimates for fixes.
• Ability to participate in calls with customers in order to provide support & guidance and troubleshoot issues as necessary
• Stay on top of underlying platform trends and changes and the implications for changes needed in our software.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
• Experience working in either Android (Java) or iOS (Swift)
• Ability to learn & work independently with minimal oversight
• Ability to work across multiple cross platform SDKs
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with customers
• Experience with Electron applications is a plus
• Bonus points for experience with Cordova and/or Capacitor
Fully remote, Ionic is currently a 100% remote workforce and was largely distributed prior to the pandemic (more than half the team did not work from the office). Our headquarters is located in Madison, WI.
Reporting to: Director of Engineering
Additional Notes: Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.