Engineering Manager, Developer Experience (Developer Advocacy)
We are Mux.
Mux is how developers build online video. With Mux Video, developers gain access to a powerful API for video streaming--think Stripe for Video. With Mux Data, developers realize incredible insights into how their videos perform from platform to platform, place to place, and user to user.
We're looking for individuals who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better. We're not just committed to making video easy for developers. We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. And that commitment extends into how we support each of our team members: - Flexible PTO - Healthy work-life balance encouraged - Paid parental leave - Education budget set aside for conferences and continuing education, including conferences, books, workshops, and more. - Thought leadership and peer recognition program - We reimburse the first six months of a Snoo rental to make sure you can sleep well when welcoming home a new baby - Remote Equal policy
About this role
Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Coatue, Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
- Lead a distributed team of software engineers focused on community engagement, user-facing product tooling, and cohesive web-based experiences
- Hire, develop, and retain strong engineering talent who become trusted voices in the world of video by helping developers build better video (using Mux along the way).
- Collaboratively develop a team vision and roadmap with your team, technical leaders, and product counterparts.
- Drive the successful execution of complex deliverables through technical insights, organization, and productive collaboration.
- Cultivate a culture of excellence and psychological safety to build inclusive, productive, healthy teams.
- Speak and write for a developer audience, submit talks, write blog posts, and represent Mux at conferences.
- Contribute code to a rich ecosystem of plugins, SDKs, and open-source projects built around or on top of Mux.
Who You Are
- 3+ years of community, solutions, or engineering management experience with a track record of successfully building and leading inclusive, highly productive teams.
- Experience running (or helping run) a community.
- Thrive on nurturing the growth and success of others; you enjoy motivating and bringing a group of people together (engineering and cross-functional).
- Adept at driving decisions and uniting stakeholders when there is ambiguity, disagreements, or conflicting constraints.
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language.
- Experience speaking and writing for a developer audience.
- Willing to travel.
- Bonus: Experience partnering with Marketing.
- Bonus: video experience.
You'll be joining an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, and Brightcove. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
- Flexible PTO
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- “Day of Learning” events
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVOD services of Mux customers
- Remote lunch reimbursement 3x/week
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote