Open Source Engineer
We are Mux.
Mux is how developers build online video. With Mux Video, developers gain access to a powerful API for video streaming--think Stripe for Video. With Mux Data, developers realize incredible insights into how their videos perform from platform to platform, place to place, and user to user.
We're looking for individuals who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better. We're not just committed to making video easy for developers. We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. And that commitment extends into how we support each of our team members: - Flexible PTO - Healthy work-life balance encouraged - Paid parental leave - Education budget set aside for conferences and continuing education, including conferences, books, workshops, and more. - Thought leadership and peer recognition program - We reimburse the first six months of a Snoo rental to make sure you can sleep well when welcoming home a new baby - Remote Equal policy
About this role
Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Coatue, Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
Who You Are
- Experience building or working on a video player. In lieu of this, multiple years of senior-level frontend development experience across a variety of frameworks is required.
- High degree of empathy for application developers.
- Ability to think critically about technical decisions that require tradeoffs and don't have a clear right answer.
- Strong competency with technical writing, documentation and engaging with a developer audience.
- Significant experience in open source projects. This can be significantly contributing to projects with high usage (hundreds of stars on github) or ideally leading open source projects of the same size.
What You'll Do
- Ship the player that can win the open source video player market.
- Build a community of application developers that contribute and advocate for the project.
- Lower the barrier for Mux customers to use the full suite of Mux features to their full potential.
- Drive a meaningful increase in the number of video customers using Mux Data because of mux-player (e.g.: right now X% of video customers use Mux Data, but out of customers using mux-player X++% are using Mux Data).
- Identify 10 customers that we have "turned into fans". These should be direct quotes of praise that indicate this player is the easiest and most reliable player they have used.
- Flexible PTO
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- “Day of Learning” events
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVOD services of Mux customers
- Catered meals and snacks
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Location: San Francisco or Remote (US)