Senior Engineering Manager - Web Experiences
We are Mux.
Mux is how developers build online video. With Mux Video, developers gain access to a powerful API for video streaming--think Stripe for Video. With Mux Data, developers realize incredible insights into how their videos perform from platform to platform, place to place, and user to user.
We're looking for individuals who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better. We're not just committed to making video easy for developers. We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. And that commitment extends into how we support each of our team members: - Flexible PTO - Healthy work-life balance encouraged - Paid parental leave - Education budget set aside for conferences and continuing education, including conferences, books, workshops, and more. - Thought leadership and peer recognition program - We reimburse the first six months of a Snoo rental to make sure you can sleep well when welcoming home a new baby - Remote Equal policy
About this role
Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Coatue, Andreessen Horowitz, Accel and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
This is a senior engineering leadership role that will transition into a Director role as the team scales. We are looking for an experienced engineering leader that will define, build, and scale new and existing teams focused on web experiences and products at Mux. The scope encompasses existing teams (Core Product Experience — shared onboarding and backend platform for all our products) and building new teams (Growth Engineering, Video Workflows, and beyond). This will be an exciting role for experienced engineering leaders who want a strong role in defining team visions, hiring, and scaling execution. You will also have many opportunities to influence the product direction in these areas.
What You'll Do
- Develop a team vision and roadmap of your focus areas through collaboration with your team, other technical leaders, and product
- Lead highly effective distributed teams of software engineers; cultivate a culture of excellence and psychological safety to build inclusive, productive, healthy teams
- Drive the successful execution of complex deliverables through technical insights, organization, and productive collaboration
- Hire, develop, and retain strong engineering talent, including senior technical leads and managers
Who You Are
- 3+ years of engineering management experience with a track record of successfully building and leading inclusive, highly productive teams. Ideally, you also have strong experience hiring and/or growing managers
- Substantial experience working on web-based, user-facing products and features. Strong competency in engineering fundamentals
- Thrive on nurturing the growth and success of others; you enjoy motivating and bringing a group of people together (engineering and cross-functional).
- Adept at driving decisions and uniting stakeholders when there is ambiguity, disagreements, or conflicting constraints
- High technical curiosity and willingness to learn. Although prior video experience is not required, diving into the details on the job is expected
You'd join an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, Brightcove, Bain, and the BBC. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
- Flexible PTO
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- “Day of Learning” events
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVOD services of Mux customers
- Remote lunch reimbursement 3x/week
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Location: San Francisco or Remote (US)