Software Engineer - Video
We are Mux.
Mux is how developers build online video. With Mux Video, developers gain access to a powerful API for video streaming--think Stripe for Video. With Mux Data, developers realize incredible insights into how their videos perform from platform to platform, place to place, and user to user.
We're looking for individuals who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better. We're not just committed to making video easy for developers. We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. And that commitment extends into how we support each of our team members: - Flexible PTO - Healthy work-life balance encouraged - Paid parental leave - Education budget set aside for conferences and continuing education, including conferences, books, workshops, and more. - Thought leadership and peer recognition program - We reimburse the first six months of a Snoo rental to make sure you can sleep well when welcoming home a new baby - Remote Equal policy
About this role
Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Coatue, Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
As a Video Engineer at Mux, you will help build and scale powerful API-based functionalities for our core product, Mux Video. Our video engineering teams evolve our video transcoding and processing pipeline to deliver powerful features that serve a wide range of customers. We have worked on challenging problems ranging from just-in-time transcoding to per-title encoding — and we are just getting started! We are looking for Video Engineers with strong engineering fundamentals that want to join a fast-paced, creative, and inclusive Engineering team.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with your team on a technical roadmap and product goals
- Develop and evolve our transcoding platform to support new capabilities and video quality concerns
- Design, maintain, and build services and video processing workflows to enable new features that meet performance requirements
- Work with Platform teams to ensure our features continue to meet core SLIs as we grow in ingest and delivery
Who You Are
- 3+ years of engineering experience.
- You’re a strong engineer comfortable working across multiple platforms and environments.
- Solid engineering fundamentals (CS degree a plus). Strong knowledge of a general purpose programming language (we primarily use Golang)
- Prior experience of working in a subset of these technologies:
- Go, C, Moden C++
- HTTP Streaming formats: HLS and DASH
- Packaged media formats (e.g. fMP4, Transport Streams)
- Bonus: strong knowledge of bitstream formats for video coding standards (e.g. AVC/AAC/VP9/AVI)
If you don't have all of these requirements but think your experience could be a great fit, that's okay! Please apply and we can talk about what's most needed in the role.
You'd join an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, Brightcove, Bain, and the BBC. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
- Flexible PTO
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- “Day of Learning” events
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVOD services of Mux customers
- Remote lunch reimbursement 3x/week
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Location: San Francisco or Remote (US)