Director of Engineering (Remote - Austin, or U.S.)
We are The Zebra.
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, people can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” to our herd. We hire folks who are able to learn quickly, take ownership, and collaborate with others.
We're actively hiring across the following departments: Sales, Commercialization, Data, Design, Engineering, Finance & Admin, Marketing, Operations, and Research.
\- An opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies & see your work make an impact \- Growth & development opportunities (weekly 1:1s, annual reviews, peer/self/manager feedback & coaching sessions) \- Learning & Development Stipend ($1000/employee/year) \- Opportunity to join our active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own \- Remote, hybrid, & in-office options to work collaboratively \- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering \- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages \- HSA offering + employer contribution \- 401K with match \- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it \- Paid Parental Leave Program (20 weeks paid leave for primary caregivers, 16 weeks paid leave for secondary caregivers, $5000 baby bonus). \- Wellness perk ($100/month) \- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month) \- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year) \- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunches \- Curated monthly snack box ($60) sent to your house \- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About this role
The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for a proven engineering leader to help guide and grow our engineering team.
As the Director of Engineering, Product you will be responsible for the delivery and execution of a subset of the Product engineering teams. This is a position of indirect leadership - you will be responsible for guiding your managers on the execution of their teams, understanding when and how to lead through influence. You will also be tasked with recruiting to grow the teams while building upon our ownership-minded, collaborative culture. You will focus on ensuring engineering is set up to support and execute on business goals in an efficient and effective manner. You will work across and outside the department to find and implement solutions to problems that are preventing your teams from achieving their goals.
We’re in the process of repositioning the company to support a remote workforce. Like many companies, pre-COVID we weren’t set-up this way. We’ve recently made the shift to from an in-office organization to a hybrid model (supporting employee work either fully remote, a mix of in-office and WFH, or solely working in-office). While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of building our systems to support work in all states. We’re excited to broaden our talent reach across the US! We will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Manage and support a team of engineering managers
- Optimize software development and project management practices
- Partner and collaborate closely with Product Management and other stakeholders to ensure we’re solving the right problems, with the right level of effort
- Foster a collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on team
- Promote ownership and discourage micro-management to push each developer to hit their potential
- Create an environment where engineers aren't afraid to fail and are empowered to move fast
- Drive developer efficiency and tackle issues standing in their way
- Expand our development team and lead technical recruitment efforts and hiring processes
- Own delivery against our product roadmap while balancing pace, robustness, technical excellence, business needs, and high quality
- Drive planning process for department, ensuring technical initiatives are balanced with product initiatives
- Ensure the reliability, scalability, performance, uptime, and robustness of our products, systems, and end-user experiences commensurate with a leading, consumer brand
- Identify high impact opportunities for improvement and scaling of existing products and tools to support our growth
- Set department best practices and mentors others
- Work with Tech Leadership & VPs to ensure SDLC is appropriate & efficient for team
- Work with Tech leadership to drive decision making for use of new technologies, languages, and frameworks
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years experience leading and managing engineering teams, and delivering business solutions
- 2+ years experience managing engineering managers
- Passionate about building and coaching high-performing engineering teams
- Organized and excited about creating and optimizing engineering processes to set teams up for success
- Track record of developing employees and managers both technically and professionally
- Proven success recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding new developers and managers
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to bring people together to create an empowering and exciting work environment
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience in the insurance industry
- Experience working on a customer-facing website
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
No external recruiters or agents, please.