Group Creative Director - Marketing Design
We are The Zebra.
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, people can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” to our herd. We hire folks who are able to learn quickly, take ownership, and collaborate with others.
We're actively hiring across the following departments: Sales, Commercialization, Data, Design, Engineering, Finance & Admin, Marketing, Operations, and Research.
\- An opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies & see your work make an impact \- Growth & development opportunities (weekly 1:1s, annual reviews, peer/self/manager feedback & coaching sessions) \- Learning & Development Stipend ($1000/employee/year) \- Opportunity to join our active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own \- Remote, hybrid, & in-office options to work collaboratively \- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering \- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages \- HSA offering + employer contribution \- 401K with match \- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it \- Paid Parental Leave Program (20 weeks paid leave for primary caregivers, 16 weeks paid leave for secondary caregivers, $5000 baby bonus). \- Wellness perk ($100/month) \- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month) \- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year) \- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunches \- Curated monthly snack box ($60) sent to your house \- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About this role
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. Reporting directly into the VP of Design, we’re seeking a Sr. Director of Marketing Design to infuse our brand with world-class creative. You’ll be responsible for leading an interdisciplinary team of high-performing copywriters, art directors, designers, illustrators, and animators. As an experienced creative leader, you’ll guide the team to connect the dots across marketing channels and campaigns to create holistic narratives that ingrain The Zebra brand in the minds of our customers.
Your experience leading design teams and building powerful, strategic relationships with key stakeholders has yielded a track record of creative campaigns that both drive traffic and elevate brand awareness. Throughout your career, you’ve also optimized the efficiency of design operations by maximizing existing resources and tools to significantly increase the impact of your team's work. Your expertise in building and scaling high performing design teams has led to game-changing, cross-channel campaigns and innovative design strategy.
As a leader you practice active discussion, excellent collaboration skills, and proactive communication, instilling these characteristics in your team to build strong partnerships with Marketing, Research, Product, Engineering, and other departments across the company. You embody humble and growth-mindset qualities, constantly looking to improve your skills, infusing new design and leadership best practices into your day-to-day.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Establish a holistic vision and user-centered, data-driven strategy for marketing design in alignment with leadership to support company objectives.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Marketing, Research, Product, Engineering and Commercialization through a partnership model, not a service or agency model.
- Lead large, strategic design initiatives that present multidisciplinary challenges and span multiple cross-functional teams.
- Lead the team in generating and pitching creative proposals (visions, concepts) in order to visualize the desired outputs and bring innovative campaigns to market.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to set the guidance for brand identity, voice, and tone.
- Measure and optimize the impact of design, using quantitative and qualitative data to inform strategy and tactical execution.
- Scale the team, create structure, and instill processes that optimize the team’s performance and impact, creating transparency across projects and proactively communicating with stakeholders.
- Forecast resourcing needs and work with key stakeholders to drive project schedules while prioritizing and using resources effectively, proactively communicating needs and trade-offs.
- Effectively develop and manage your team’s growth and performance, practicing radical candor and creating a career framework that set clear and high expectations to empower your team to create their best work everyday.
- Optimize the team’s efficiency while also raising the bar on design quality (never satisfied with status quo), challenging your team to create innovative and impactful work.
- Engage and maintain strong visibility within the design community, staying on the pulse of latest research trends, principles, and methodologies.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years of related experience, both in-house and in an agency setting.
- Extensive experience establishing and driving a strong design vision across channels and mediums, including advertising, social media, conceptual campaigns, product launches, branding, photography, and video.
- Creative storyteller able to articulate brand stories across touch points, channels, and campaigns.
- Exceptional portfolio of creative work demonstrating expertise in both art direction and copywriting.
- Capable of translating business direction and priority into clear and actionable direction for your team.
- Comfortable communicating the value of design, creatively utilizing tactics to break through barriers or meet unique needs.
- Experience actively advocating on behalf of marketing design, building relationships across the business that serve the needs of the design team.
- Proven track record of building, developing, and scaling design teams that craft breakthrough creative, understanding best practices around recruiting, coaching, and motivating a team including inclusion and equity.
- Experience in resolving organizational challenges and streamlining processes that scale teams in a high-growth environment.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and limitations of different processes/methodologies/approaches, including when and how to utilize quantitative and qualitative insights to inform creative direction.
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient, ability to find creative solutions and build something from scratch.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high growth and at times ambiguous environment.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience leading creative at a major B2C brand or agency
- Deep familiarity with brand, performance, and organic marketing
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
No external recruiters or agents, please.