Information Security Engineer (Remote - Austin, or U.S.)
Finance & Admin
We are The Zebra.
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, people can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” to our herd. We hire folks who are able to learn quickly, take ownership, and collaborate with others.
We're actively hiring across the following departments: Sales, Commercialization, Data, Design, Engineering, Finance & Admin, Marketing, Operations, and Research.
\- An opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies & see your work make an impact \- Growth & development opportunities (weekly 1:1s, annual reviews, peer/self/manager feedback & coaching sessions) \- Learning & Development Stipend ($1000/employee/year) \- Opportunity to join our active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own \- Remote, hybrid, & in-office options to work collaboratively \- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering \- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages \- HSA offering + employer contribution \- 401K with match \- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it \- Paid Parental Leave Program (20 weeks paid leave for primary caregivers, 16 weeks paid leave for secondary caregivers, $5000 baby bonus). \- Wellness perk ($100/month) \- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month) \- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year) \- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunches \- Curated monthly snack box ($60) sent to your house \- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About this role
The Zebra is expanding our security team and we’re seeking an Information Security Engineer to help us secure, maintain and grow a world-class insurance buying experience. This role offers a unique opportunity to help shape and grow our security culture. We are looking for a versatile, experienced information security professional who loves to make an impact through cross-organizational efforts to keep The Zebra secure and compliant with various state and federal regulations.
We’re in the process of repositioning the company to support a remote workforce. Like many companies, pre-COVID we weren’t set-up this way. We’ve recently made the shift to from an in-office organization to a hybrid model (supporting employee work either fully remote, a mix of in-office and WFH, or solely working in-office). While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of building our systems to support work in all states. We’re excited to broaden our talent reach across the US! We will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Assist the information security senior director with monitoring and managing information security risk.
- Perform security analysis on new SaaS and determine purveyor’s security posture.
- Assist with analysis and process improvement ideas for identified security issues; Where gaps are identified, take initiative to create solutions.
- Create, design and document processes to support the policies and standards of the company to help reduce risk and vulnerability exposure.
- Work with other key stakeholders to define, design and implement security measures as needed.
- Define requirements, help evaluate and analyze new technology to address security gaps and concerns in a cloud environment leveraging such as Kubernetes & Amazon EKS.
- Analyze IT requirements and provide objective advice on the use of IT security requirements and controls
- Design, analyze, document recommendations and where required implement efficient IT security systems to help improve security posture (eg. WAF, EDR, IAM, Bot protection, DLP, SIEM etc.)
- Stay current with industry trends.
- Monitor and respond to regulatory developments and industry best practices in a timely manner
- Be able to analyze security system logs and data to be able hunt for unidentified threats and investigate security alarms and identify anomalies and items that could be of security relevance or importance.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of experience in Security Operations/Engineering performing security analysis and investigations, incident response, forensics and analysis.
- Multi-cloud experience a plus (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience with scripting tools (e.g. Python, Node, Bash,Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with Git and code deployment pipelines
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and/or infrastructure automation
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing demands
- Expertise in writing run books, and complexity analysis.
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Sense of ownership and pride in the quality of work
- Great communication and collaboration skills
- Great to have +: CISSP, CCSP, CEHv9, CISA, CRISC,CISM, or AWS Security
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Hands on cloud security investigation experience
- Information security experience in PCI environments
- Forensic investigation experience
- Application security experience
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
No external recruiters or agents, please.