Product Design Manager
We are The Zebra.
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, people can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” to our herd. We hire folks who are able to learn quickly, take ownership, and collaborate with others.
We're actively hiring across the following departments: Sales, Commercialization, Data, Design, Engineering, Finance & Admin, Marketing, Operations, and Research.
\- An opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies & see your work make an impact \- Growth & development opportunities (weekly 1:1s, annual reviews, peer/self/manager feedback & coaching sessions) \- Learning & Development Stipend ($1000/employee/year) \- Opportunity to join our active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own \- Remote, hybrid, & in-office options to work collaboratively \- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering \- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages \- HSA offering + employer contribution \- 401K with match \- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it \- Paid Parental Leave Program (20 weeks paid leave for primary caregivers, 16 weeks paid leave for secondary caregivers, $5000 baby bonus). \- Wellness perk ($100/month) \- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month) \- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year) \- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunches \- Curated monthly snack box ($60) sent to your house \- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About this role
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. The product design team's vision is to make buying insurance enjoyable and simple through exceptional design. We’re looking for a Product Design Manager to lead and build an amazing team of designers, provide direction and guidance, define best practices for the design process, and partner cross-functionally. The ideal candidate is someone with a strong design background, who's moved into management to mentor and provide career development, ultimately creating a space for designers to do their best work with their product teams.
This role reports directly to the Director of Product Design.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Effectively develop and manage your team’s growth and performance by setting clear and high expectations that empower your team to create user-focused and forward thinking work everyday.
- Create structure and instill a process that optimizes the team’s performance and impact, provides transparency across projects, and increases efficiency & simplicity within the organization.
- Lead meetings and facilitate knowledge sharing, collaboration, decision making, and maintain a healthy feedback culture.
- Raise the bar on design quality (never satisfied with status quo), challenging your team to create innovative and impactful work.
- Balance big-picture thinking with an iterative approach to continuously deliver improvements for our users.
- Use quantitative and qualitative data to understand, measure, and communicate the business value of UX design and to drive design decisions.
- Partner with our UX Research team to ensure that users lead the way. Our users inform where we are going, so we focus on listening to users combined with quantitative data to lead us to the best strategies and solutions.
- Manage design execution and its partnership with product management, engineering, research and data.
- Actively build out and retain a strong team of diverse design talent, optimizing the hiring and onboarding process.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 2+ years in a people management role on a Design team and 7+ years of practicing consumer-facing design experience and/or building design systems.
- Exceptional portfolio demonstrating a strong design background.
- Proven design leader. You have a track record for building and developing design teams that ship great experiences. Understands best practices around inclusion and equity as well as recruiting, coaching, and motivating a team.
- Solid technical design skills. You bring expert knowledge of user experience principles and modern, emerging web and mobile UI patterns.
- A dedicated mentor. You have a strong ability and desire to mentor other designers with regards to craft and use of the design system.
- Great communicator. You have the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial designs. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work and make strategy come to life.
- Thoughtful cross-functional partner. You have the ability to ask the right questions throughout a project’s lifecycle and look for opportunities to improve working relationships and processes.
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient. You have the ability to find creative solutions and build something from scratch.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment. We are in a high growth and at times ambiguous environment.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience with national brands, high growth startups, and building design systems at scale.
- Experience designing for both customer and associate facing products.
- Ability to visualize a range of design solutions quickly.
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
No external recruiters or agents, please.