Senior Engineering Manager - SRE (Remote - Austin, or U.S.)
We are The Zebra.
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, people can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” to our herd. We hire folks who are able to learn quickly, take ownership, and collaborate with others.
We're actively hiring across the following departments: Sales, Commercialization, Data, Design, Engineering, Finance & Admin, Marketing, Operations, and Research.
\- An opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies & see your work make an impact \- Growth & development opportunities (weekly 1:1s, annual reviews, peer/self/manager feedback & coaching sessions) \- Learning & Development Stipend ($1000/employee/year) \- Opportunity to join our active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own \- Remote, hybrid, & in-office options to work collaboratively \- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering \- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages \- HSA offering + employer contribution \- 401K with match \- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it \- Paid Parental Leave Program (20 weeks paid leave for primary caregivers, 16 weeks paid leave for secondary caregivers, $5000 baby bonus). \- Wellness perk ($100/month) \- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month) \- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year) \- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunches \- Curated monthly snack box ($60) sent to your house \- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About this role
The Zebra is seeking an Engineering Manager (or Senior Engineering Manager) for our Site Reliability Engineering team. The primary role of this person is to manage the continuous improvement of The Zebra’s SRE program by implementing tools and processes to move our applications and service up the Service Reliability Hierarchy. The SRE team enables and inspires development teams to support their applications in the production environment by improving observability and training teams in incident response. Ideally this candidate will have experience leading teams primarily in a Site Reliability Engineering context.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Manage projects with development teams to improve the reliability of their applications
- Collaborate with Engineering leadership to improve SRE processes and tools at The Zebra
- Communicate status of support issues from alert acknowledgment to close out
- Evaluate, diagnose and resolve issues with AWS settings, Kubernetes configuration and Gitlab deploy pipeline setup.
- Work closely with other engineers, designers and Engineering Leadership to improve developer environment utilities and improve development and deployment tools
- Improve and scale the existing products and tools
- Balance priorities to ensure the team effectively completes long term efforts while managing technical debt and short term concerns
- Identify opportunities to improve the development process
- Assist in recruiting and hiring processes
- Set and monitor performance goals for teams and individuals, providing feedback through reviews, one-on-one’s, and in day-to-day discussions
- Ensure engineering is always adding business value; clearly communicating business goals to engineering teams, as well as technical solutions to stakeholders
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 2-4+ years experience leading and directly managing engineering teams, primarily in an Site Reliability Engineering context
- Site reliability individual contributor experience
- Passionate about building and coaching high-performing engineering teams
- Organized and excited about creating and optimizing engineering processes to set teams up for success
- Track record of developing employees both technically and professionally
- Proven success recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding new developers
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to bring people together to create an empowering and exciting work environment
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience with AWS administration
- Containerization, Docker, Kubernetes experience
- Python/Django experience
- Experience with unit testing and test-driven development
- Experience with message brokers (RabbitMQ, Kafka) and/or Lucene-based indexes
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
No external recruiters or agents, please.