Technical Project Manager (Remote - Austin, or U.S.)
We are The Zebra.
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, people can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” to our herd. We hire folks who are able to learn quickly, take ownership, and collaborate with others.
We're actively hiring across the following departments: Sales, Commercialization, Data, Design, Engineering, Finance & Admin, Marketing, Operations, and Research.
\- An opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies & see your work make an impact \- Growth & development opportunities (weekly 1:1s, annual reviews, peer/self/manager feedback & coaching sessions) \- Learning & Development Stipend ($1000/employee/year) \- Opportunity to join our active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own \- Remote, hybrid, & in-office options to work collaboratively \- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering \- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages \- HSA offering + employer contribution \- 401K with match \- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it \- Paid Parental Leave Program (20 weeks paid leave for primary caregivers, 16 weeks paid leave for secondary caregivers, $5000 baby bonus). \- Wellness perk ($100/month) \- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month) \- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year) \- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunches \- Curated monthly snack box ($60) sent to your house \- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About this role
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We’re a purpose-driven company looking for a Technical Project Manager who can provide planning, management, oversight, and communication across internal and external stakeholders for large development projects. This role will work closely with Engineering & Product Managers, as well as business stakeholders. Our Operations team is passionate about collaboration and working together to solve complex problems with standardized solutions.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Facilitate cross-functional projects that are wide-spread and long term. Communicating milestones, time estimates, dependencies, blockers, etc. as well as document product and project decisions.
- Control project quality and success by managing the decision making process, assessing risks, setting clear and realistic deadlines for deliverables, and ensuring timely completion of project deliverables
- Drive negotiation of competing priorities and/or interruptions between product managers and stakeholders, escalating appropriately, as necessary
- Respond to and escalate critical situations, breaking down the problem, communicating options for resolution and driving the solution forward
- Create team wide communication strategies for large initiatives
- Provide input to help improve cross-team & cross-department processes
- Provide education between departments to ensure understanding of the lifecycle of a project (from ideation to operationalization)
- Manage and mentor junior project managers as we grow
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of experience in project management roles, managing multiple large, complex and cross functional projects in technical environments, with an emphasis on product development, systems, and technical teams
- Experience working with core services, infrastructure, and site reliability engineering (SRE)
- Strong communication skills with executives and ability to align project management best practices and reporting with strategic goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to quickly build relationships and earn the trust of leadership and key stakeholders
- Ability to mobilize and motivate teams, set direction and approach, resolve conflict, and deliver tough messages thoughtfully and considerately
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in the use of project management tools
- Experience with and full understanding of Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Ability to execute with limited information and ambiguity
- Ability to stay calm and positive, while also being driven by a sense of urgency.
- Able to navigate conflicting requirements and opinions to drive decision-making
- Completely comfortable working in the Atlassian tool suite (JIRA, Confluence)
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience in high-growth, start-up environments
- Jira and Confluence admin acumen
- PMP and CSM Certification
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
No external recruiters or agents, please.